Postponement of Durham 2020

Updated: 29/04/2020


The organising team met this week to review the situation around Coronavirus and make an assessment on the likelihood of being able to go ahead in August. As a result, we have made the difficult decision to postpone Durham 2020 until August 2022.

Our aim was to bring together participants from every Scouting section, and from around the world, to have an experience of a lifetime. We are sorry to the 2500 of you who will be disappointed that we are not going ahead this year.

In reaching our decision to postpone, we considered several different factors:

  • The financial risk to Durham Scouts and our participants, particularly because of the need for us to start making significant financial commitments and for international groups to start booking their travel.
  • The likely availability of our volunteer staff.
  • How much progress we could reasonably make with our preparations during this time, especially as we are unable to hold site meetings and regular build weekends.
  • What the UK Government and Scout Association policy could be in August and the potential health risk to those attending the Jamboree.

We did consider postponing until summer 2021 but we felt that there was still a risk of the Jamboree needing to be cancelled depending on restrictions in place at that time. We also felt that it was unlikely that we could attract enough volunteers next year because of the significant number of other events now taking place.

The rescheduled Jamboree will take place in the summer of 2022 and we’re determined to make it an event to remember with a great programme and line-up of activities. We’ll announce the exact dates over the next few weeks.

If you’re already booked as a group, participant or staff member for Durham 2020, then you’re already booked onto our 2022 event – there’s no need to do anything. Our FAQs cover several questions you might have about your booking.

If you are no longer able to attend in 2022, then we’ll be able to offer you a refund on your fees. We can confirm that we’ll be able to refund any fees paid to us, with exception of £6.50 per Scout/Explorer and £1 per Beaver/Cub. This charge covers the costs that the event has already incurred to-date and is in accordance with our terms and conditions. From the 4th May, all groups and staff members will be able to login to our website to request a refund of their fees and we’ll aim to process all refunds by the end of June. Please keep an eye on your emails for further details.

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has been involved in putting together Durham 2020 and has worked so hard during such uncertainty over the last few weeks. It started as a simple idea three years ago and a talented team have turned it into an event that we will all be proud of – we can’t wait to welcome you in 2022!

Thank you for your continued support and please keep safe.

Ian Hammond
Event Director – Durham 2020



  • What date will the postponed event take place?
    We’re just confirming that and will confirm over the next couple of weeks.
  • We want to come in 2022, do we need to do anything?
    If you’re already booked, no – your booking will rollover to our 2022 event. We’ll be rolling bookings back to the first stage of our bookings process, removing the names, DOBs and T-Shirt sizes of participants.
  • We can’t come any more, can we get a refund?
    Yes, we’ll be emailing all groups and staff on the 4th May with more details on how to apply for a refund.
  • One of my participants will be too old to attend in 2022, what happens?
    We’ll need to refund their place and we’ll provide details on how to do this on the 4th May. They may want to join our staff team as an alternative.
  • What is the new payment schedule?
    We’ll announce this in the next few weeks but the third payment, which was due at the end of April 2020, isn’t required by this date.
  • We’re a group and we’d like to attend in 2022 – how do we?
    Please join our waiting list and we’ll make places available when we can.