Update in May 2021
Back in April 2020, we made the decision to postpone Durham 2020 for two years due to the unfolding COVID-19 pandemic in the UK. Last week, we undertook a review of the event and have made the difficult decision to cancel our Jamboree.
Our aim was to bring together participants from every Scouting section, and from around the world, to have an experience of a lifetime. We are sorry to every one of you who will be disappointed that we are not going ahead – we feel exactly the same way.
It was a difficult decision to make but in reaching our decision to cancel, we considered several different factors:
- The ongoing uncertainty around COVID and what restrictions may look like in summer 2022.
- How prepared groups would be to join, given it is likely to be their first summer camp for some time and potentially, the first time some young people have not camped in 3 years.
- Uncertainty about whether international groups will be able to attend.
- The unavailability of event cancellation insurance.
- The financial risk to Durham Scouts and our participants, particularly because of the need for us to start making significant financial commitments.
We will now proceed with refunding all bookings and we’re aiming to complete this by the end of July. We’ll be able to refund any fees paid to us, with exception of £6.50 per Scout/Explorer and £1 per Beaver/Cub. This charge covers the costs that the event has already incurred to-date and is in accordance with our terms and conditions. Please keep an eye on your emails for further details.
I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has been involved in putting together Durham 2020 and has worked so hard to get us to this point. It started as a simple idea four years ago and a talented team have turned it into an event that we would have been incredibly proud of.
For those of you in Durham, we are hoping to run a full events programme in 2022 and we’re looking at ways to expand this as much as possible to welcome everyone who wants to join us.
Thank you for your continued support.
Event Director – Durham 2020